oh hey heidi. you are the bomb. for real. the bomb. thank you for giving this veggiegirl so much inspiration and so many delicious (and easy) recipes.
this is another delicious veggie venture recipe from the kitchen of heidi swanson of 101 cookbooks, to my kitchen and to hopefully your kitchen. I love when good, fresh and tasty food is quick and easy. that is honestly the key to a really satisfying meal. after my first successful attempt and making a tofu-infused dish, i thought I would try again and heidi featured the most wonderful recipe including some of my staple ingredients.
2 tablespoon ghee or extra-virgin olive oil (most definitely used evoo)
fine grain sea salt ( definitely used regular salt)
1 small onion or a couple shallots, sliced (onionnnn)
1 cup cooked chickpeas (canned is fine, if you don’t want to cook up a pot of dried chickpeas)
8 ounces extra-firm tofu
1 cup of chopped kale* I used Spinach
2 small zucchini, chopped
zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
1) Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil In a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in a big pinch of salt, the onion, and chickpeas.
2) Saute until the chickpeas are deeply golden and crusty.
3) Stir in the tofu and cook just until the tofu is heated through, just a minute or so.
4) Stir in the spinach and cook for one minute more.
5) Remove everything from the skillet onto a large plate and set aside.
6) In the same skillet heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, add the zucchini and saute until it starts to take on a bit of color, two or three minutes.
7) Add the chickpea mixture back to the skillet, and remove from heat.
8) Stir in the lemon juice and zest, taste, and season with a bit more salt and pepper if needed.
9) Enjoy and Share!