there is just something about that word that can make a girls heart just crumble. the thought of those pillowy balls of pasta potato dressed in some delicious outfits…they really can be the life of the party.
although i am not at the homemade gnocchi place in my life yet (but soon!), i have found some super duper tasty things to do with gnocchi. I’ve think we’ve had fun with two gnocchi dishes before with the Fire Roasted Gnocchi the Lemon Gnocchi from a while back but for this dish, I thought I would take it “Sicilian Style”.
I really had no idea what this meant but the blog that I adapted it from made it look delicious and super vegetarian, so I was all in.
Adapted from: Vegalicious
- 1 package gnocchi (shelf stable…can be found at most local grocery markets)
- 1 eggplant, cubed in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 Cup of small cubed tofu
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato chunks
- 2 handfuls raisins (yes, even I…the girl who doesn’t like raisins…put raisins in the dish)
- Italian seasonings (oregano, basil, thyme)…whatever you have in your fridge/cupboard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Boil the Gnocchi and boil until they float to the top.
- Drain the Gnocchi from the water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute the eggplant, onions and garlic in the oil until the eggplant begins to soften and the onion becomes glassy.
- Add the ground tofu.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, raisins and Italian seasonings.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
- To serve, either add the gnocchi to the sauce, or serve the gnocchi with the sauce on top.
- Share and Enjoy!!!
I really enjoyed this dish and it was really easy to make and really delicious. I love finding individuals who are dedicated to finding filling, healthy and tasty vegetarian meals…that are also well-balanced! it is a hard task but this definitely fits the bill and I would definitely make this again!
Actually Posted: 12/29/10