I was tempted to make these eggless. Next time, I think I will. Nevertheless, this a very tasty simple blueberry muffin with a hint of apple flavor that I think you will enjoy as much as I did.
Additionally, if you are not a blueberry person (which is just odd), I would not be oppose to adding whichever berry you love the most. And if you are very feeling very daring, add more than one type of berry! GASP! I think summer requires it…
Adapted from Joy the Baker
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil (I used the almond oil I had on hand)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1) Grease and flour your muffin pan. (You could use muffin liners but I personally don’t think muffins should have liners. Cupcakes, yes. Muffins, no…but that is just me!)
2) In a large bowl combine all of your dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3) In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg.
4) Make a well in your dry ingredient mixture and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist.
6) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
7) Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8) Share and Enjoy!
I am going to be completely honest with you and I think these came a out a little heavier than I would have liked. Everyone still loved them but I also think I would maybe do away with the egg (as I had previously mentioned) and just add more apple sauce to be a binding agent. Or maybe even yogurt….hmm. I like where this is going. So yeah, still make them because people really like their blueberry muffins. 🙂