Well my secret is out. Breakfast is my favorite. If I could eat breakfast for every meal of the day, I probably would be tempted to do so. That being said, I think it makes complete sense that muffins and now scones have been a recent popular item on BOOF. However, making scones have always scared me. I realized that I needed to conquer this fear so gathered up my courage and made some scones. They were good. They had blueberries. They also had oatmeal. I really like those things. I like them even more together in the scone form.
Adapted from Epicurious
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
1 Cup of Blueberries
2/3 cup buttermilk plus additional for brushing
2) Sift together flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) Add 1 1/3 cups oats and mix together with your hands.
4) Add butter and and work until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small lumps.
5) Transfer to a bowl and add buttermilk and stir with a fork until a dough just forms.
6) Gently knead on a floured surface a few times.
7) Pat into a 9-inch square (1/2 inch thick). Cut into 9 (3-inch) squares. Cut each square diagonally to form 2 triangles. (Or just make approximately 18 two inch blobs.
8) Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
9) Brush with buttermilk and bake until golden brown, about 16 minutes.