I had fun with this bad boy and it was a HUGE hit. If you make this for your friends and family, they will request you make it for every occasion to follow. Promise.
Slightly adapted from Epicurious.com
3 Cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried apricots (thinly sliced)
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1) Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
2) Line baking sheet with BUTTERED parchment paper.
3) Whisk first dry ingredients in large bowl.
4) Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
5) Fold in chocolate and apricot.
6) In another bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg and then add to dry ingredients and stir well.
7) Turn dough out onto floured work surface and knead gently just until dough comes together.
8) Form dough into approximately a 6 1/2-inch-diameter round and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
9) Using sharp knife, cut slits in top of bread, forming sunburst pattern. How fun!
10) Bake bread for about 1 hr until well browned and very firm when pressed and tester inserted into center comes out clean ( turning baking sheet halfway through baking)
11) Transfer bread to rack and cool completely (ehh not necessary…i like the gooey chocolate).
12) Share and ENJOY!
I reckon I will have to make this again soon.