Good buddy of BOOF, Jiggles, had a birthday so I wanted to make something special and delicious to celebrate. Two important thing about Jiggles: 1) She does not like chocolate and 2) She LOVES sprinkles. So, when I reached down into my big bag of recipes, I knew that I wanted to do something/had to do something a little different than usual. I think cupcakes are perfect for big kid birthdays just as they are for little kid birthdays, and I had never filled my cupcakes before, and I thought I would give it a try. Yes, I started to get bold with my baking. Heyo. I knew exactly what I wanted to do but I was nervous about the execution. I’m going to break it up into three parts.
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
Regular or silver cupcake paper liners
1) In a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to cream.
add the vanilla and eggs and mix in well.
3) Sift together the dry ingredients; then mix into the butter mixture alternating with the milk.
4) Pour batter into cupcake paper-lined muffin tins filling them 3/4 full.
5) Bake until puffed and firm in the center and light golden brown on top, about 20 to 25 minutes.
6) Let cool.
7) Once cool, cut a small circle and remove the middle.
8) Fill with the Raspberry filling described below
9) Place removed cupcake circle back on the cupcake, once filled with the Raspberry Filling (I haven’t gotten into the whole injection thing yet…)
10) Ice with Lemon Buttercream frosting
11) Share and Enjoy!!!
Raspberry Filling: Adapted from Food.com
1 1/2 cups frozen
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice (preferably the fresh stuff…)
1/4 cup sugar
1) In a small sauce pan, co
mbined all of the ingredients and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat (keep stirring until thickened for best results)
2) Let cool completely. FOR REAL. COMPLETELY.