Before I began BOOF and was just testing out my cooking skills, I made this. It was really good. It was really simple. I really should make it more often.
I thought I would share this with you because it was really one of those things that spurred me with the thought to start BOOF over a year ago. Now, as I am rapidly approaching my 200th post, I thought I would share this little vegetarian gem from my kitchen to yours. Well…really it was from Deb’s kitchen to my kitchen to yours. 🙂
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 8 oz. package of spinach, washed (about 4 cups)
2 slices of sandwich loaf bread, crusts removed and cut into small cubes
1/2 cup (4 ounces) tomato sauce (canned– if you want a nice kick, I recommend TJ’s fire roasted)
1 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (or two)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of chilli red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon juice, to taste
1) Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
2) When it is hot, add the spinach with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir well. Remove when the leaves are just tender, and drain in a colander and set aside.
3) Heat 1 more tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
4) Fry the bread for about 5 minutes or until golden brown all over, then add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the garlic, cumin and pepper.
5) Cook for 1 minute more or until the garlic is nutty brown.
6) Transfer the toast mixture to a food processor, blender or just grind with along with the vinegar, and mash to a paste.
7) Return the mixture to the pan and add the drained chickpeas and tomato sauce.
8) Stir until the chickpeas have absorbed the flavors and are hot. Season with salt and pepper.
9) Add the spinach and cook until it is hot. Mix in paprika.
10) Stir well and share and enjoy!
From Me to You. ❤