There are some things that I make and then either forget to post or I am just not sure if you will want to hear about them. Well, I decided that I am going to start a new section called “The BOOF Vault” for things that I may make, or restaurants that I may visit and then fail to post on…for whatever the reason may be. The first thing up from the BOOF Vault was a little side dish that I made into a lunch time meal, with some delicious garden fresh asparagus.
Good buddy of BOOF, KZtheOutdoorExplorer grows asparagus. Amazing, right? I thought so. Being the wonderful buddy that she is, she brought me some delicious fresh asparagus from her home so I knew that I wanted to do special delicious things with these beautiful asparagus.
Deb from Smitten Kitchen gave me a great idea for my asparagus and it was yummy. For real.
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted* and cooled
1/2 pound asparagus, rinsed and trimmed
1 lemon, halved
Freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 ounces Parmesan cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Lay a single stalk on its side on a cutting board and you can either use a vegetable peeler to shave on thin asparagus ribbons OR just use a knife and cut the asparagus into as many strips as feasible (longways). Throw away the tough ends when you are done.
3) Meanwhile, throw your almonds onto a baking sheet and toast for about 7 minutes (you do NOT want them to burn). Keep an eye on them.
4) Arrange shaved asparagus onto a plate/serving platter and then drizzle some lemon juice, olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Toss.
5) Throw your toasted almonds into the mix and toss some more. Top with some shredded parmesan and you guessed it…toss some more.
6) Share and Enjoy!
This is a perfect side to a summer time meal and it is super quick, easy and fresh.
Originally Made: Back sometime in June 🙂