Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Another soup. Are you tired of it yet? I’m not. Never. Ever.
Soup for dinner. Soup for lunch. Soup for breakfast (Yeah, I would have soup for breakfast).
For this soup, I pretty much took a base of Tomato soup and added some brown rice to give it some heartiness. It was simple, quick and tasty…the way soup (in my opinion) should be.
1 cup cooked brown rice (or white rice)
1 can whole peeled tomatoes (28 oz.)
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes (or just red pepper flakes)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped basil
1) Cook rice per directions.
2) In a medium sized pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
3) Stir in onions and saute until slightly tender and browned. Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
3) Add tomatoes and simmer until mixture comes to a boil.
4) Add cayenne pepper, chilli powder, cumin, chilli flakes, salt, pepper. Stir in spices well and let soup simmer for about 30 minutes.
5) Then, add in your rice, stir well, and let simmer for another 10-12 minutes just so the flavors can sink in a little.
6) Remove. Cool (just a touch). Top with feta or some cheese (if you so desire). Share. Enjoy.
PS. I FULLY support making a grilled cheese sandwich to also go with this soup.
Simple. Yummy. Better day by day.