In between all of the cookies, I do eat real food. I actually eat very good food…not to brag on myself or anything. As you may have seen, I usually eat soup, so here is another tasty soup recipe to help get you through these cold wintery nights. Unfortunately, the winter has only just begun…
Adapted from: Vegetarian Cooking A Common Sense Guide
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small medium onion, finely sliced
1 red pepper, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups pureed tomatoes
3 cups vegetable stock
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 15 oz. can pinto beans (or chickpeas or kidney beans)
2 1/2 cups fresh spinach
1) Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
2) Saute onions for about 2-3 minutes until slight browned and then add the red pepper, garlic and cumin seeds, cayenne pepper, and cook for another minute. Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
3) Add the pureed tomatoes and veggie stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4) Add the chickpeas, vinegar and sugar and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5) Stir in the baby spinach until it begins to wilt and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
6) Share and Enjoy! Oh yes, and I through some goat cheese on top because who does not like a little cheese on top. 🙂
This was really good and the flavors continued to seep in well into the next day which just kept adding more deliciousness to the soup. It was quick and easy and a perfect pre-dinner soup or lunch time item.