One of the best buds of BOOF, GlutenFreeMomo just recently got married! Her and her awesome hubby theGiantViking had us all take the long trip to paradise in Playa del Carmen, Mexico to celebrate their nuptials. How rude, right? Haha.
Well, before we took that amazing trip for that beautiful wedding, we obviously had to celebrate GlutenFreeMomo in the most wonderful of ways with a bridal shower and bachelorette party. As you can tell by her moninker, Mo is Gluten-free as a result of her Celiac, and so I am always trying to find tasty gluten-free treats to whip up for her. I wanted to ensure that she had some wonderful gluten-free treats available for her bridal shower, so I got to searching for a nice chocolate gluten-free cupcake recipe for the occasion.
I came upon this little chocolate cherry gem, and it was so simple and very very tasty.
Adapted from Simply Gluten-Free
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder plus more for garnish
1 1/2 tablespoons maraschino cherry liquid
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with baking papers.
2) Dry cherries with paper towel and cut them in half.
3) Combine chocolate chips and butter in a large microwave safe mixing bowl and cook on high power until the butter is melted and the chocolate chips are very soft, about 2 minutes.
4) Stir until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Let cool slightly.
5) Whisk in the eggs, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, cherry liquid and salt.
6) Ladle half the batter into the prepared pan, place a maraschino cherry half in each cupcake and fill with the remaining batter, filling the cups almost full.
7) Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and the tops look dry. Let cupcakes cool in the pan.
8) Whip the cream with the vanilla and powdered sugar.
9) Top the cooled cupcakes with the whipped cream, dust with a little cocoa powder and top with the remaining maraschino halves.
10) Share and Enjoy!
These went over really well and I love that these GF cupcakes don’t have a bunch of random ingredients like “agave sugar” and 8 different types of gluten-free flour. The cherries at the bottom of the cupcakes add a nice little moisture and gooeyness to the cupcake. I recommend you make this for both the gluten-free and non-gluten free loves in your life.