Hello loves. In between all the treats and sweets, I do like to enjoy eating regular food. My church is currently on Day 8 of a 10 day Daniel Fast in which the primary purpose is to just become more intimate with God through prayer and fasting. In the bible, Daniel ate only vegetables and fruits and drank water, so the idea of the fast is to do the same. Our version allows us to eat whole grains and legumes in addition to vegetables, fruits and drinking water but all processed foods, meats, seafood, sweeteners (including raw sugar) are nixed. Therefore, it essentially adding on Vegan and Gluten-Free to my normal vegetarian diet, woohoo. Although things have been tough (no sweeteners), physically I feel cleaner and healthier, and spiritually I also feel great.
This is all to say that I made a healthier version of a pretty standard dish among many cultures, Red Beans and Rice. It is a good way to get in your protein and fiber packed into one dish.
Adapted from Ultimate Daniel Fast
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup water
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 15 oz. can red kidney beans
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Cook brown rice according to directions. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
3. Add green peppers, onions, and celery. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add water and spices. Mix in well.
5. Add in kidney beans and rice. Lower heat and cook another 5 minutes or until heated through.
6. Transfer to bowl. Share and Enjoy!
Really tasty and would make a great side dish for any meal!