Uh oh. Winter is coming. Actually, Autumn is definitely still here in full effect but we had a few days that it really felt that winter was on its way in way too soon. Although I do love Winter (weird, I know!), I really love having four full seasons. Call it the New England in me.
When the temperature dipped, I was instantly put back in soup mode but I really do not think that I was ever out of soup mode. I had some Kale on hand and I was looking for something to do with it aside from making my tasty Kale Chips, so I started perusing one of my favorite go to Foodie inspiration websites, Tastespotting, and I found a tasty looking soup utilizing my Kale and some other ingredients I had on hand.
One of the reasons I love making soup so much is because you can essentially throw in whatever you have on hand and have a tasty pot of deliciousness. Yes, I just used tasty and delicious in the same sentence and I am okay with that. But more importantly, this soup is a nice winter welcoming soup that am going to eat in the fall and I hope you are okay with that.
Slightly Adapted from: 84th&3rd
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 15 oz. cans Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
1 zucchini, peeled and diced
1 squash, peeled and diced
5 large handfuls of kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
5 cups veggie stock
3 cups water
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Habanero but feel free to use something more tame)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1. In a large pot over medium low heat, saute garlic, onion and carrots in a splash of olive oil for about 3 minutes.
2. Add beans and stir to combine.
3. Add enough stock to cover beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour until beans are tender.
4. Add zucchini and kale and simmer for a further 5-7 minutes until zucchini is tender and greens are wilted..
5. Add hot sauce and cayenne and pepper and continue to simmer for another 4-6 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Good veggie soup packed with flavor! You should make it!