Holy moly where did the year go. It is absolutely crazy that November is already here which means that the holiday season is once again upon us.
Although I will not say that I am not excited for the most wonderful time of the year, but I am astonished that it has seem to come so quickly. I mean wasn’t it summer time like yesterday?
Nevertheless, I believe that this is the time of the year when bakers all across the world are rejuvenated with a sense of excitement to fill their families bellies with warmth and deliciousness. I also believe that this is the time of the year when everyone is looking forward to their bellies being filled with delicious pies, cakes, cookies and warmth.
I may be getting a little ahead of myself because we have a few weeks before the season officially arrives, and we have some important things coming up before then (GOVOTEONTUESDAY), but the season is coming and I’m going to help you prepare.
Remember those twins I’ve been talking about? Well, for their birthday gifts, I baked each of them a dessert that I thought they would enjoy. For Twin2, I made her this wonderful Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake which is always a crowd pleaser. For Twin 1, I asked her for her favorite flavor and she told me ginger (pretty cool!), so I went searching for something different than just a gingerbread cookie and came upon this cake. I knew it was perfect as it highlighted both the ginger as well as fall apple flavors.
A nice fall twist on a classic.
Adapted from Beantown Baker
4 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing pan
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
4 apples (I use Gala but its up to you!), peeled, cored and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
Pinch of salt
1 stick(1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup dark molasses
1/3 cup honey
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×9 or 10-inch circle cake pan. Side note: You can also place parchment paper at the bottom of the pan for easy removal.
2. Make the apple topping: Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, four minutes, then swirl in salt. Remove from heat and pour into the bottom of your cake pan. Spread apple topping evenly.
3. Make the batter: In a stand mixer, blend 1/2 cup butter and the sugar on medium-low speed until light and fluffy.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, molasses, honey and buttermilk.
5. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
6. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and then add in 1/3 of the molasses mixture. Continue to alternate adding in flour and molasses mixtures until everything is well incorporated.
7. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake at least 45 to 50 minutes and be sure to do a toothpick test before removing from oven. Let cool on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then PRAY and turn out onto a platter.
8. Share and Enjoy!
So the Birthday girl really enjoyed this cake and said it had the perfect balance of ginger with apple. This could definitely be a nice change up to your holiday dessert menu!