Oh Paleo. You force me to think really hard to come up with delicious things to satisfy my palette. I have been trying to really mix up my vegetables and not just stick to the usual broccoli, sweet potato, peppers and onions, so I wanted to throw some brussels sprouts into the mix along with some cauliflower. These are two vegetables that I really really love to roast because they just just brown up and become so beautifully tender, so I knew that I wanted to include them into my dish. Although that day I had a protein packed breakfast and lunch, I wanted to get a little more protein in for dinner so I thought to add some walnuts to the mix. And trust me, roasting nuts is probably one of the best things you can ever do. Ever.
Adapted from ABCD’s of Cooking
1 pound brussels sprouts
1 small head cauliflower
4 tablespoons coconut oil
2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoon masala seasoning
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
2) Melt coconut oil and set aside.
3) Wash and cut brussels sprouts in half. Wash and break off cauliflower florets, making sure they are roughly similar in size.
4) In a bowl, combine the brussels sprouts, cauliflower and coconut oil. Mix gently and add as much of the mixture to coat.
5) Place the brussels sprouts and cauliflower on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Roast for about 25 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, in a smaller bowl melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Toss walnuts in coconut oil and set aside.
7) Remove brussels sprouts and cauliflower from oven and add walnuts and seasoning mixture to (curry and masala). Roast for another 5-7 minutes until walnuts slightly brown.
8) Remove baking sheet, transfer to dish and SHARE and ENJOY!
This came out more delicious than I could have imagined. The notes of curry and masala played beautifully into the roasted nuttiness of the rest of the dish. I like a little bit of spice to my food, so this dish was perfect but if you prefer your food a little milder taste then decrease the curry to 1 1/2 teaspoon. I ate this as a meal because I wasn’t particularly hungry, but it goes equally as well as a nice side dish to a piece of chicken or fish. Make this! 🙂