I am realizing that if I wait until I have time to sit down at my computer to post, it just won’t be happening as often as I want to share with you all. Therefore, I am going to try and do more posts via the iPhone, so we shall see how this works itself out.
Not wanting to do a a rudimentary (although delicious) eggplant sauté or roasted eggplant, I wanted to do something a little different yet still healthy and delicious. I have been feeling that I should still be able to “bread” things despite my clean-eating, so I decided to start thinking outside of the box and create my own “breading” with some of my new flours.
I created these simple little fritters on a whim one evening, and they came out better than I could have expected. They are a perfect side to any meal and I’m excited to try something similar with zucchini and squash. Nom.
1/2 Eggplant, cut into fritter slivers
2 tbsp corn meal
3 tbsp oat flour
1-2 large egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I use Badia)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon pink sea salt (or reg)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Sift together all dry ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
3) Take each piece of eggplant and coat with egg yolk.
4) Dip each piece of coated eggplant into dry ingredients and coat well.
5) Place fritters on baking sheet (either lined with foil or lightly greased).
6) Bake on 400 for about 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 10-12 minutes until fritters are golden brown.
7) Remove from oven. Let cool (for a minute or two).
8) Share and Enjoy!
Yay I successfully wrote this post on my phone. I guess it actually IS smart. More importantly, these were super tasty, super easy and pack a nice punch. If your taste buds are more tame, decrease the amount of Cajun and cayenne. 😉