Hey Beautiful People,
This was another challenge entry for an instagram challenge that I was in (12 Days of Fitmas!). The challenge was ginger and I wanted to recreate my gingerbread apple upside down cake in a healthy version!
I was so happy how this came out. I think it was actually better than the original, so if you really want a show stopper this holiday season, try this one out!
1 cup oat flour
1 cup almond flour (meal)
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 medium apples peeled and sliced
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) ToppingIn a small saucepan, melt coconut oil and mix in coconut sugar until it forms a glaze.
3) Transfer to cake pan (I used a 9 inch round) and set aside.
4) Cake In a stand mixer, mix together coconut oil and sugar and slowly add in eggs one at a time followed by vanilla.
5) In a medium bowl, sift together dry ingredients (spices, flours, baking powder and baking soda), and then add to stand mixer in batches until slightly combined.
6) Add in Greek yogurt and almond milk and continue to mix until well incorporated. ***For those who don’t like dairy, you could replace the Greek yogurt for unsweetened apple sauce.
7) Arrange apples in design on bottom of pan and pour batter over top. *I spritzed the sides of the baking dish with a little coconut oil just to ensure it would come out cleanly.
8) Bake on 350 for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
9) Remove from oven and wearing oven mitts, flip onto plate (a little prayer also helps 😉).
10) Let cool slightly and share and enjoy!
Super delish and if you have healthy ice cream or frozen yogurt on hand, I’m pretty sure a touch on top wouldn’t hurt. Loveeee!