For the sugar cookies, I just used a previous recipe and added some Valentine’s day M&M’s for decor. I did, however, use a wonderful Chocolate Brown Sugar recipe from Joy the Baker that I would definitely be inclined to use again.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1) preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3) In a bowl, mix dry ingredients by whisking together flours, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
4) In the bowl of your mixer, beat together butter and sugars. Beat until well incorporated.
5) Add the egg and beat on medium speed until mixture is fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6) Add the dry ingredients all at once to the wet mixture and mix on low speed until all of the flour is incorporated
7) Spoon batter out onto a sheet of waxed paper, wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours (I did it overnight).
8) Once chilled, roll out balls and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
9) Bake for 5-6 minutes, remove from oven and place M&M’s on top of cookies and bake another 5-10 minutes (do the same for the sugar cookies).
11) Share and Enjoy!
Quick, easy and super delicious. Done.Done.Done.